For those seeking a new life in the sun, the Caribbean rates highly on many shortlists.
The benefits are lengthy and include:
- Low taxes in many jurisdictions eg Cayman Islands, Turk & Caicos
- Sub-Tripical Climate and year-round sunshine.
- Some of the highest standards of living - if you choose wisely
- Good employment prospect for skilled expat workers, especially in offshore financial services.
Obviously the Caribbean has it's drawbacks too and you should consider these before making the big move and becoming a Caribbean expat.
Things to consider incude:
- Hurricane Season (June to November).
- High Cost of Living (you're going to be on an island after all).
- Island Living - say goodbye to some of the things you take for granted, unless you're prepared to pay for them.
The Caribbean's British Overseas Territories are amongst the most popular expat destinations. The UK government's oversight of the islands and their foundation on UK law gives many expats peace of mind that their new home will be safe and politically stable.
British Oveseas Territories include The Cayman Islands, The Turks & Caicos Islands and Anguilla.